4.03.2012

New Stuff

Some updates...
Blake is now 29 inches long.
21 lbs
Talks a little bit - mostly babbles, but he is getting some words in there.
"dada, day, mum, daday, nun Na, gee (Angie), Kay, no, umm" and probably others that I can't think of.
He walks along things and stands by himself, but refuses to stand himself if you try to place him away from something to hold onto. He has taken a very clumsy step a few times.
My favorite entertainment that he has provided me with so far, is that he is quite the musician! I love music, and so does Kyle, so this is very important to us! Blake has his own drumset, and he can beat on it pretty well! He hasn't established any steady beats yet, but he has the concept of hitting the actual drum rather than just swinging his arms rapidly. However, when Kyle and I get too excited about it and say "good job bud!!", he tends to also get overly excited and swing rapidly until his drumset - sometimes followed by himself, falls over.
Another instrument he has taken a liking to is a guitar! He has officially learned the strumming technique. He understands that strumming includes hitting every string from top to bottom! He really likes to strum! He can even keep a semi-steady tempo with plucking one string at a time. We haven't tried letting him use a pick yet. We are too afraid he will eat it. However, his fingers seem to be effective enough! We are very proud of him!
There is one more instrument he has taken a liking to, but he doesn't get to play it very often. The piano at Kyle's mom's house is very interesting to him! After carefully watching me and Aunt Mandi play it, Blake decided he would join in. I was surprised for a while just because all he was doing was watching, but when he finally joined in, I was rather impressed! He didn't BANG on the keys - he actually pressed them with just one finger on each hand. No music was really made. But he seemed to understand that you can either hit one key at a time, or you can hit both at once! He exparamented with the same two keys for a few minutes. Then he accidentally moved his hand, and hit another key. This made him pause for a moment, then he hit that key again. My little guy seems so interested in music!! Let's hope this interest stays with him throughout his whole life!!

As for shows, movies, cartoons, etc. Blake seems to love his Baby Einstein DVD set the most! His favorite DVD of the set is "my first signs." I love this because it is my favorite too! He has learned a few signs from it, but I'm not sure if he legitimately wants the things he is asking for. He has made the sign for milk, which I praised him for, then went And made him a bottle. When I came back with the bottle, he didn't want it, but he was happy about the fact that I was so excited that he made the sign! He also does an odd version of the sign for diaper. He scratches at the front-right side of his hip when he would like a diaper change. He doesn't always do it as soon as he needs one. I've noticed he usually cries and does it when I am busy cleaning or putting clothes away. The crying gets my attention, and then I am able to see him scratching at his diaper, so it is helpful!
He also likes the sign for "all done." He doesn't ever mean it, but he does the sign with one hand, then I say "all done!" and he gets excited. However, when I start to walk away with the food or drink, he cries. So he doesn't exactly mean it, but he acknowledges the fact that he can do it, and that I like it when he does it.

One thing I have been impressed with, is his ability to copy what we do. He once had a habit where he would get upset because he wanted us to put more food in his mouth, even though he still had food in there! This was a problem because he would get really upset with us! Well, we had a little progress one day at Nun-Na's house. I was feeding him, and he kept opening his mouth for more food before he was done chewing. I kept repeating, "no, not until you're done!" Blake heard this about 15 times. Then, I repeated it again, and to my surprise, he chewed his food, and said "done done done!" I was amazed! He said it for the rest of that meal, and he hasn't said it again yet!

I've also realized that he likes it when someone mocks him. He yells, we make the same sound. He says something, we say it too. He smiles excessively and keeps playing the game with us! I absolutely love this! The first time he did it, we were playing with "talking Tom" on my phone. Tom repeats everything we say. Blake tested it out and realized he could do it too! Ever since then, Blake loves it when someone mocks him.

That's all I have for today. Blake needs a nap which means cleaning time for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment